Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MIssed hair appointment - WWYD?

MIssed hair appointment - WWYD?

I get my hair done every 12 weeks. The guy who does it is really good at getting the color just how I like it, and makes it blend so naturally that I think it looks fine going 12 weeks between appointments. I have a very easy cut that takes him less than 5 minutes, and going 3 months between cuts is no big deal. My hairdresser is a bit eccentric, but I go to him because I love how he colors my hair. He's a bit pricey, I pay $140 for a cut and color. At least I think that's pricey!

My last appointment he asked if I wanted a reminder text for my appointment and I said yes! He took my cell number and said no problem. Usually he writes it on a card for me but this last time I didn't get one. I wanted the appointment 10-12 weeks in the future, and he gave a date a bit sooner than 10 weeks because of conflicting vacations.

Fast forward to today. I had a nagging feeling my appointment was coming up. I don't have his cell number, but I have his email so I texted and asked when my next appointment was. His reply email was, "Ugh...it was tue @ 9 " So now I feel like total shit.

Should I pay for the missed appointment? Should I partially pay? If I pay the full amount, I will have to schedule my next appointment for 12 weeks from now because there's no way in hell I'm paying $280 at once. I guess the interval of gross hair will be the consequence for my stupidity in not writing it down.

I think I missed an appointment once 5 years ago with him and I don't recall paying him for it. I think I gave him a little extra at my next appointment. But I feel more invested in this guy, and like I really screwed up. I feel terrible! But do I feel $140 terrible? Not really!

FYI, he's not a super busy fully booked hairdresser, and it takes him exactly an hour to do my hair from start to finish. He owns his own business.

WWYD?

but not really... MissingMinnesota's Avatar
    No. You don't pay for a missed appointment. You apologize, and don't miss another one. People mess up. That's the cost of doing business. Unless he has some fee for missed appointments in writing that you've previously agreed to (like a doctor's office), apologize, maybe tip a little extra when you reschedule, and move on. He will understand, and not be a douche about it. He's in the business of keeping clients, and being ultra pissy about one missed appointment is not the way to do that. I think he'd be shocked if you tried to pay for the whole thing.

My friend goes to him and said the time she missed an appointment she paid for the whole thing. So I'm worried he expects it.

His email kind of surprised me with the ugh and the sad face. I mean, I already feel like shit about it!

How many days is it until Friday? ritalouise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingMinnesota View Post
    No. You don't pay for a missed appointment. You apologize, and don't miss another one. People mess up. That's the cost of doing business. Unless he has some fee for missed appointments in writing that you've previously agreed to (like a doctor's office), apologize, maybe tip a little extra when you reschedule, and move on. He will understand, and not be a douche about it. He's in the business of keeping clients, and being ultra pissy about one missed appointment is not the way to do that. I think he'd be shocked if you tried to pay for the whole thing.
    I agree. And I would take his text to you as, "Ugh, I forgot, too."

So how should I respond to his email? I just hate letting people down like this!

Crunchy and a little nutty PB&J's Avatar
    My sister is a hairdresser and says shit happens. lol Don't pay for the missed appointment, apologize, make another appointment and don't miss again. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJo View Post
    So how should I respond to his email? I just hate letting people down like this!
    I'd say something about making sure to get an appointment card next time. That should be standard, especially when you're booking two months ahead. He also dropped the ball by not sending the text he promised.

If I felt very badly, I might take him his favorite coffee at my next appointment. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though, given that he could have been more diligent as well.

P.S...I am jealous that you can go 10-12 weeks between a cut and color!
    "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

How many days is it until Friday? ritalouise's Avatar
    "I am so sorry! When can we schedule me again? From now on I'll put a reminder in my phone."

Let's take a trip to the stars Steffy's Avatar
    I'm so sorry. I didn't get an appointment card because you had said you'd send a reminder text. Next time I'll make sure to get a card!

(That way, you subtly remind him that it's his bad, too.)

I would do as Steffy suggested, and no...don't pay for the missed appointment. Make another, maybe bring him a small treat (chocolates/wine/etc) and move on.