Are these carrots bad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these carrots bad?

I have a bag of baby carrots, still sealed, never opened, in the fridge, with an expiration date of Oct 5. Are they still cookable? They don't look bad. Still firm. I haven't opened them, so I don't know how they smell.

open them and see...if they look/smell fine and are still firm I'd go for it!
    Or Whatever You Do....recipes l Tasty PLR

Comment

I usually use borderline ones for crockpot roasts and stuff.

Comment

Are they slimy? If not, they are fine. Root vegetables, like carrots, keep extremely well. Bagged carrots will go bad because they've been cut and washed, but an unopened bag is probably fine.

There is no Carrot Plague that you get from outdated carrots (or I'd be dead, having frequently stored carrots for months and months.)
        nesha ;-)

Time turns the old days to derision
        Our loves into corpses or wives.
        Marriage and death and division
        Make barren our lives.
        - Swinburne

Comment

Um, EW! Almost 2 months past their expiry date, I'd toss them regardless of how they smell. lol Maybe a week or two past, but not 2 months.

Comment

Not slimy, not smelly, and tastes ok.

I'm making pot roast tonite and we have a snowstorm coming thru, so I don't really want to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by moonhoney2 View Post
              They're good.

Carrots last a very long time in the right conditions.

Comment

Is American food irradiated? I remember reading that somewhere and I can't imagine how carrots could be still as good as new 8 weeks after their use-by date.:carol

Turn all the lights out and tell us if they glow in the dark.

Comment

I buy organic carrots, so maybe that makes a difference. They get slimy after a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by koo View Post
                    Is American food irradiated? I remember reading that somewhere and I can't imagine how carrots could be still as good as new 8 weeks after their use-by date.:carol

Turn all the lights out and tell us if they glow in the dark.
                    First of all, it is surely a "sell-by" date, and not an expiration date.

Carrots don't expire.

Traditionally, one dug up carrots in late fall, and stored them in a cool place ALL winter. Carrots, being roots, are meant to stay in the ground all winter and start growing again in the spring.

When a carrot goes bad, you can tell. It gets slimy and gross. (If your carrots go bad after a week, you aren't storing them right. I've grown many an organic carrot, and not had one go bad after a week.)

A carrot that has been stored for a long time may start to dry out and look shrivelled and unattractive, but it isn't "bad" in the sense that it would hurt you to eat it.

It's a vegetable, not raw hamburger!

Don't you wonder how people lived through the winter 100 years ago without refrigerators?
                    nesha ;-)

Make barren our lives.
                    - Swinburne

Comment

Could you be anymore condescending? :carol

I've been growing my own veg for 16 years and grew up on a small-holding. I have a passing aquaintance with carrots.

I was asking if produce was irradiated in America.

Comment

Originally posted by koo View Post
                        Could you be anymore condescending? :carol

I've been growing my own veg for 16 years and grew up on a small-holding. I have a passing aquaintance with carrots.

I was asking if produce was irradiated in America.
                        No, it's not.

But bags of "baby" carrots have been washed, peeled and cut into that "baby" shape, and they don't keep as well as "real" carrots.

And yeah, I could be a whole lot more condescending. I'll work on it for you, since I've still got a lot more vegetable growing years on you.
                        nesha ;-)

Make barren our lives.
                        - Swinburne

Comment

A smackdown over carrots!

Comment

Originally posted by Mare View Post

A smackdown over carrots!
                            Or Whatever You Do....recipes l Tasty PLR

Comment

Originally posted by RealCranky View Post
                              Are they slimy? If not, they are fine. Root vegetables, like carrots, keep extremely well. Bagged carrots will go bad because they've been cut and washed, but an unopened bag is probably fine.

There is no Carrot Plague that you get from outdated carrots (or I'd be dead, having frequently stored carrots for months and months.)
                              Originally posted by moonhoney2 View Post

I'm making pot roast tonite and we have a snowstorm coming thru, so I don't really want to go out.
                              Originally posted by Patti View Post
                              They're good.

Carrots last a very long time in the right conditions.
                              Originally posted by RealCranky View Post
                              First of all, it is surely a "sell-by" date, and not an expiration date.

Carrots don't expire.

Traditionally, one dug up carrots in late fall, and stored them in a cool place ALL winter. Carrots, being roots, are meant to stay in the ground all winter and start growing again in the spring.

When a carrot goes bad, you can tell. It gets slimy and gross. (If your carrots go bad after a week, you aren't storing them right. I've grown many an organic carrot, and not had one go bad after a week.)

A carrot that has been stored for a long time may start to dry out and look shrivelled and unattractive, but it isn't "bad" in the sense that it would hurt you to eat it.

It's a vegetable, not raw hamburger!

Don't you wonder how people lived through the winter 100 years ago without refrigerators?

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? -- Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X