Illegal to babysit your friend's child for free in Michigan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal to babysit your friend's child for free in Michigan

MIDDLEVILLE, Mich. (WZZM) - A West Michigan woman says the state is threatening her with fines and possibly jail time for babysitting her neighbors' children.

Lisa Snyder of Middleville says her neighborhood school bus stop is right in front of her home. It arrives after her neighbors need to be at work, so she watches three of their children for 15-40 minutes until the bus comes.

The Department of Human Services received a complaint that Snyder was operating an illegal child care home. DHS contacted Snyder and told her to get licensed, stop watching her neighbors' kids, or face the consequences.

"It's ridiculous." says Snyder. "We are friends helping friends!" She added that she accepts no money for babysitting.
    http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...4016&catid=14#

They were on one of the morning news programs this morning. Lisa Snyder said that she was told by DHS that, if her daughter's friend comes over to play every afternoon but the mother is home, that's allowed. But if the mother goes out for any reason, then it is "unlicensed day care".
    "Let us not be weighed down by the complexity of our situation, but united by its singularity as we re-establish a system that protects our rights." - OWS

Ridiculous

Comment

Who the hell made the complaint? Seriously. Whoever that was is nothing but a busy-body with no common sense
      I plan to live forever ... so far, so good!

Comment

Apparently, a municipality in England has the same 'head-in-butt' affliction:

Two women who work part-time for the same company have been told that they cannot care for each other’s child unless they register as childminders and undergo Ofsted inspections.

The women, who wish to remain anonymous, gave birth to girls at similar times. They set up a job share, with both working half a week in the same post. They are also close friends, so when one was at work the other cared for both children.

Ofsted, however, has put an end to the arrangement. It said that, according to legislation, caring for another person’s child “for reward” was classed as childminding. This means that both mothers will have to register with Ofsted and follow the same regulations as normal childminders. The financial “reward” they receive is free care for their daughters.
        http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6850342.ece

"Let us not be weighed down by the complexity of our situation, but united by its singularity as we re-establish a system that protects our rights." - OWS

Comment

It's only illegal because the state isn't profiting from it. Pisses me off.

Comment

With all of the things that the State could be doing to make the citizens safer, that is not one of them.

Comment

How stupid.

Comment

ugh.
                "You can take all your shirtless pretty boys with six packs and line 'em up and they still couldn't equal the searing heat of a compelling intelligent man with piercing eyes and a silky smooth voice." --Sarsparilla

Comment

first the woman buying cold meds, now this... wth are we coming to?
                  this is my style of typing, if there is proper caps and grammar s'cut and paste

The neighbor starts screaming from his yard "Bad dog! Bad dog!" So I yelled, "Bad neighbor! Bad neighbor!"

Comment

Originally posted by bga View Post
                    first the woman buying cold meds, now this... wth are we coming to?
                    No kidding. And some Americans have the nerve to say that Europeans live in "nanny states."
                    I plan to live forever ... so far, so good!

Comment

Personally I wish they would crack down on illegal "home" daycares in my area.

Comment

I think this is one of those laws that are thrown into that group of "crazy but true laws on the books that nobody really follows". Or somebody is afraid if we don't enforce this law we will go down that slippery slope into legalizing gay marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerluv View Post
                          Who the hell made the complaint? Seriously. Whoever that was is nothing but a busy-body with no common sense

Comment

Originally posted by Kendall501 View Post
                            Personally I wish they would crack down on illegal "home" daycares in my area.
                            I'm not sure a couple of kids coming over for half an hour in the morning to wait for the bus makes it a daycare. If the kids waited outside at the bus stop instead of in the house would it be daycare? Is it a daycare anytime one adult is responsible for another's child? Only if it happens on a schedule? When I was a kid I had a standing 'playdate' one day of the week with my best friend and we took turns going to each other's house for the afternoon. Was that a daycare? Would it have been if there were three of us in the rotation?

I think there should be a minimum number of children cared for and a minimum number of hours per week involved to be called a 'daycare.' In my mind, one or two children and fewer than five hours per week should not qualify as a 'home daycare.'
                            "Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there.'"

sigpic

Comment

Actually the law is in place for good reason, but that is neither here nor there. Also, if you are 'bartering' child care you are supposed to claim it as income on your IRS tax form, so there is more than one issue here.

However, like most laws, I think the propensity to over-analyze to the point of ridiculous can emerge.

Comment

Working...
                              X