Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are band/orchestra kids still viewed as geeks and nerds?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my high school - we had alot of jocks in band (our drum major was our star basketball player). They couldn't be in fall sports (no football players could be in the band) for some reason - but basketball was fine as was any of the spring sports (baseball, track & swimming) so a lot of kids did both.

Taylor has been in band for 5 years now and is first chair and made the city's honor band. And I don't think there's been any negative stereotype from it. I think that's probably because the band program at the high school level are pretty big (they even have different kids of band - orchastra, marching, jazz, etc) so a lot of kids go into band and it's seen as a good thing.
    Mom to Taylor (20), Katie (17), Ben (14) & Grace (11)

Comment

I don't remember the band kids in my high school, but they had a fairly strong theater program. We may or may not have made fun of the guilders.

My two oldest were both very active in theater in high school. They had a blast. I think I realized that while we had been busy making fun of the theater geeks, they were busy having a blast not caring that we thought we were above them.

Comment

Not in my daughters school. But then again she goes to a performing arts school.

Comment

I think my school was pretty much like the Breakfast Club.

The jocks and princesses were popular. The burnouts, brains, guilders, and weirdos had their own social order but were not on the radar of the popular kids.

I think I sort of fit in with the burnouts although I wasn't one. I was in classes with the brains. I wouldn't have considered myself popular but nor was I unpopular (whatever that means). I sort of few under the radar, I guess.

Comment

I asked my dd - who's in band - and she said "yeah, more or less. But it's not a bad thing. It's mostly the smart kids who are in band."

She said she realized the difference between band and non-band kids when her class took gym the other day with the non-band class (band and non-band determines their gym class).

She said the non-band class was full of "ganstas" (local slang for rap kids) and were generally better athletes than the band class. Some of the band kids are also athletes, but as they get up in grades they just don't have time to do both as the time expected for practice and travel in both escalates.

My high school barely had a band, so it wasn't a factor.

Comment

We're totally aiming for geek/nerd status at our house. While it makes for a few painful year in Jr. High/High School as a "life" plan the geek/nerd thing seems to have worked out well for most I know.

Those "geeky" scholarships are a lot more plentiful than the cool ones.

Culturally in my area (largely LDS) most every kid plays an instrument of some sort, so playing an instrument isn't considered uncool. By High School you generally have to choose band vs. cheerleading/sports, because obviously you can't be playing in the band, cheering, and playing the sport at the same time, but there was a lot of cross-over. I remember the coolest guy (at least I thought so) at our school was Student Body President, Captain of the Football team, and played the sax, he wasn't in band (played sports) but he played with the band in some of their concerts.

Also a lot of the "cool" kids that couldn't be in band, were in choir, show choir, or musical theater, and with the whole High School Musical thing, musical theater is enjoying a bit of a renaissance, at least in the schools around here (according to the 14-18 year olds I teach at church ).

There is definitely social divisions, but I think there is quite a bit of movement between the groups, esp. for girls, when I was in show choir, one of the other girls played basketball, did show choir, and was homecoming queen.

Comment

Not in my neck of the woods.

In fact some of the most respected kids are in the band.

I think it's wonderful.

Comment

Well my oldest son jokes about it a lot. But at his high school the band is way better than the football team. This year they opened the color guard to girls who weren't in band or orchestra and a good number of girls from the pom squad defected to band. They really are an awfully good band ( Bands of America Grand National Champions in '06 :suzanne). He's hoping that band and debate will get him some scholarship money in the future.

Monica
                  Monica

"Parents were invented to make children happy by giving them something to ignore." Ogden Nash

Comment

I don't think the band folks at my high school were ever considered geeks just for being in band. The most popular girl at my high school was in band, and I remember a lot of other band folks who were popular.
                    Save the internet!

Picture taken from b3ta.com

Comment

I think they are still called "band geeks" at our school but I don't think being a "geek" is a bad thing.
                      Remember the saying..........Be nice to geeks/nerds - someday they will be your boss!
                      Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here, we might as well dance!

Comment

Band geeks were not mocked at my high school...it was a pretty small high school, many of the people in the music program also participated in sports.

They weren't mocked at older D's high school, either. Her school was so huge that you wouldn't necessarily know someone was in the music program unless you were, too.

Younger D is currently waiting to hear if she won the lottery for this awesome middle school - she's already decided that if she gets in, she wants to keep playing the viola. Even though she loves to sing, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X