Old Technology and your kids

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Technology and your kids

Meadow said something in another thread about her dd not knowing what a cassette tape was - how much of older technology do your kids know?

Our last van (which we got rid of a year ago) had only a tape player so ds is familiar with cassette tapes. Dh has played his records for him so he knows what they are.

We used to have a tape answering machine, but I don't know if he ever looked inside that - now we have a digital machine inside our phone.

I've shown him an old rotary dial phone that I have in the crawl space and we used to have a corded phone upstairs so he's seen that too.

He's never seen an 8 track tape. He has seen old typewriters.

Years ago, when our now 19 year old was around 8, we were digging through an old box of 45 records, and he came over, and asked us what kind of CD's they were. We figured 8 track would never be able to be explained at that point

Comment

My kids know casette tapes but I'm sure they've never seen or heard of an 8 track. They know about typewriters, corded and rotary phones and have been told that TVs used to work without remotes but I don't think they've actually ever seen one.

When I was a kid, I WAS the remote! :old
      "Wherever in the world much poverty is found, much religion is found also"

Comment

Originally posted by Mamapalooza View Post
        My kids know casette tapes but I'm sure they've never seen or heard of an 8 track. They know about typewriters, corded and rotary phones and have been told that TVs used to work without remotes but I don't think they've actually ever seen one.

Growing up there were four of us in the house and two cats. The goal was to get a cat so that when the time came to change the channel you got to cry "I have a cat" which was an automatic channel changing exemption. In university we actually had an old school push button corded remote!

Comment

I don't even own CDs anymore. I am sure my son will be used to only digital media growing up in our house.

Comment

my uncle had the remote that turned the dial, KACHUNK KACHUNK, it would sometimes pick up interference and the channels would go round all by themselves... I miss our cable box with the dial, I had it rigged with a match book between the dial and the box, if you could wrangle it just so, it would unscramble HBO... It was a sad day when we had to trade it in for the digital box.

Comment

Who remembers those yellow doodads that went in the centre of 45s? What were they called - did they even have an official name?
              In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
              A stately pleasure-dome decree:
              Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
              In caverns measureless to man
              Down to a sunless sea.
              -
              Coleridge

Comment

You can get gold plated ones as necklaces lol!

Comment

"The yellow doodad to play your records on a player that didn't have a built in 45 doodad"

Comment

Today my girls saw their first rotary phone. It was hilarious watching them try to dial our home number. What's so instinctive to us was utterly foreign to them.
                    --Alex, to my friends

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandra View Post
                      Today my girls saw their first rotary phone. It was hilarious watching them try to dial our home number. What's so instinctive to us was utterly foreign to them.
                      I guess that's right - even though ds has heard about old technology he doesn't have the instinct to know how to use them lol.

Comment

I hate how toys these days make all those electronic noises. I told my son "When I was a kid, if you wanted a toy to make noise, you had to pull a string!"
                        I apologize for my previous signature.

I still have them turned off.

Comment

My 24yo bought herself a turntable, and collects records!
                          nesha ;-)

Time turns the old days to derision
                          Our loves into corpses or wives.
                          Marriage and death and division
                          Make barren our lives.
                          - Swinburne

Comment

Originally posted by Mamapalooza View Post
                            That's why we have less kids now.

Things my kids don't know... What white-out is for... writing without red or green squiggly lines to correct you... the smell of fresh mimeographed hand-outs... that a slide rule even existed... how to adjust a TV antenna when you switch between ABC and NBC.. 8mm film and projectors for home movies (w/o sound)... phone numbers that start with 2 letters... a roller skate key...

The yellow doodads were called spindle adapters.

Comment

Originally posted by TapToTalk View Post
                              That's why we have less kids now.

Things my kids don't know... What white-out is for... writing without red or green squiggly lines to correct you... the smell of fresh mimeographed hand-outs... that a slide rule even existed... how to adjust a TV antenna when you switch between ABC and NBC.. 8mm film and projectors for home movies (w/o sound)... phone numbers that start with 2 letters... a roller skate key...

The yellow doodads were called spindle adapters.
                              Geeze, you're really old, huh?

:wink Just kidding with ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X