Parents who let their kids smoke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents who let their kids smoke

Tonight at work I had a family come up (I work at a local ice cream place that friends of ours own). It was a Mom, Dad and their 2 teenage boys. The boys looked like they were about 14 and 16.

The family stood in line passing a cigarette back and forth between them. I couldn't believe it. They were right out in the open with other people and families around. Lots of young children were around. Most of the other people in line were looking at them like this .

How would you react if you saw this? What do you think of parents who let their under age children smoke?
    My Etsy Store: Jilly's Unique Bowtique
    My business FaceBook page Jilly's Bowtique

Originally posted by FedUp View Post
    What do you think of parents who let their under age children smoke?
    Scum.

Comment

How would I react? I'd and and walk away. I wouldn't say a thing - wouldn't be worth it.

I think parents who let their under age children smoke are idiots. I feel sorry for children with such stupid parents. I think my kids would be pretty disgusted to see that sort of thing too - they are very anti smoking and were very pleased when MLP and I gave up last year.
      "I have referred to children belonging to themselves, not parents, biological or otherwise. As taonga, children are to be treated with respect, responsibility, love and care by all members of the group." ~ Justice Gendall
      Parenting, as a firm rule, should not involve firearms.

Comment

This happened hours ago and it's still bugging me. Smoking is so incredibly unhealthy that I'm almost thinking that ALLOWING your kid to smoke is abuse.

Comment

I think it could well be termed abuse. At the very least it is incredibly incompetent and negligent parenting.
          "I have referred to children belonging to themselves, not parents, biological or otherwise. As taonga, children are to be treated with respect, responsibility, love and care by all members of the group." ~ Justice Gendall

Comment

I really don't know what to think. My mom let my friends smoke at our house when I was a teen. Looking back, I think it was a leftover acceptance of smoking in her generation. She was born in 1930 so she grew up in a completely different era in America, when smoking was not taboo, in fact it was an acceptable practice that was not regarded with the ire and disapproval it is today. They were ignorant of the health dangers associated with smoking and being around smokers. Obviously these things were illuminated as time went on, but she remained steadfast in old-school thinking on the matter. She's said countless times that everyone smoked and drank gin and tonics when they were pregnant (!) back when she was pregnant (well before I was born) and no one thought anything of it. I think she was skeptical in that "We all did it when I was growing up and we turned out just fine" sort of way.

She was eventually persuaded by the piles of evidence contradicting her outdated way of thinking and would never tolerate kids smoking today. In fact she'll lecture anyone with ears about how awful smoking is.

She's exceptionally stubborn and slow to accept change, but she is hardly "scum" and worthy of unbridled disgust.

Sisters are different flowers from the same garden. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I can see it in the past, as you say Rude, but these days? I think these people are just slackarse parents.

Comment

Originally posted by shuebox View Post

She's exceptionally stubborn and slow to accept change, but she is hardly "scum" and worthy of unbridled disgust.
                Ah, but as you say, she was raised in a different era. Now, there is no doubt whatsoever of the harmful effects of smoke so I stand by my "Scum" definition of anyone who acts the way those parents were acting.

Comment

I really don't know what to think. My mom let my friends smoke at our house when I was a teen. Looking back, I think it was a leftover acceptance of smoking in her generation. She was born in 1930 so she grew up in a completely different era in America, when smoking was not taboo, in fact it was an acceptable practice that was not regarded with the ire and disapproval it is today. They were ignorant of the health dangers associated with smoking and being around smokers. Obviously these things were illuminated as time went on, but she remained steadfast in old-school thinking on the matter. She's said countless times that everyone smoked and drank gin and tonics when they were pregnant (!) back when she was pregnant (well before I was born) and no one thought anything of it. I think she was skeptical in that "We all did it when I was growing up and we turned out just fine" sort of way.

She was eventually persuaded by the piles of evidence contradicting her outdated way of thinking and would never tolerate kids smoking today. In fact she'll lecture anyone with ears about how awful smoking is.

Yeah there is a big difference between then and now. We live in a time where we know the dangers of smoking.

I just don't get what the hell would make a parent think it's ok to let their kid smoke! Parents like that generally want to be the "cool" parent and are more interested in being the kids friend rather than an actual parent. I just want to shake parents like that and tell them "Your kid has FRIENDS what he needs is a PARENT!"

I have a 14 year DSD. No way in hell would I let her smoke. If I caught her smoking she'd be in a world of trouble. If that makes me uncool well then I'm cool with that!

Comment

My mother taught me how.

I think it's disgusting and sad. I can't imagine caring so little about my child's longterm health as to condone, overlook, or encourage cigarette smoking.
                    These are the seasons of emotion and like the winds they rise and fall
                    This is the wonder of devotion - I seek the torch we all must hold.
                    This is the mystery of the quotient - Upon us all a little rain must fall...
                    It's just a little rain...
                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie View Post
                      Ah, but as you say, she was raised in a different era. Now, there is no doubt whatsoever of the harmful effects of smoke so I stand by my "Scum" definition of anyone who acts the way those parents were acting.
                      Oh I know that. I was framing my answer with my mother's lax attitude towards smoking in mind. It is understandably impossible for me to think of her as scum, but I know where everyone is coming from.

I guess I was waxing sentimental over my mom, not thinking outside of my experience with her permissive stance on the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by kapooku View Post
                        My mother taught me how.

I think it's disgusting and sad. I can't imagine caring so little about my child's longterm health as to condone, overlook, or encourage cigarette smoking.

Even my mother didn't take it that far. I'm sorry she saddled you with such a dangerous habit. I can imagine it was difficult to shed that monkey.

Comment

Trash, pretty much.

I hope my kids don't decide to smoke. I'm trying everything I can now to deter them, and so far between me and the things they've studied in school, they both think it's disgusting. I'm being completely up front about the fact that I smoked for many years, and the repercussions it had on my health.

Comment

I can imagine it was difficult to shed that monkey.
                            Took me a loooong time, but it's been 5 years this month!
                            These are the seasons of emotion and like the winds they rise and fall
                            This is the wonder of devotion - I seek the torch we all must hold.
                            This is the mystery of the quotient - Upon us all a little rain must fall...
                            It's just a little rain...
                            ?

Comment

Interesting this topic came up right now. Several of my friends hosted French high school students for a three week stay last month. I've been looking through pictures of some of the adventures the group took together, and one thing which stood out was the number of French students who smoked cigarettes. It must be more acceptable there--and I'm not willing to write off large portions of the French adult population as scummy parents.

Knowing what I know about cigarettes, I do hope this is one habit I manage to convince my kids not to even start.
                              "Our job is not to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. Our job is to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless."

L.R Nost

Comment

Working...
                              X