PDA

View Full Version : Who knew hurricane names were so controversial??

Linda
05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
This morning in the car, my talk radio people were discussing the topic of naming hurricanes.

Evidently, hurricanes used to be named after females but there were huge feminist protests and the policy was changed to name them after males and females.

In the car, I was thinking "I'm a feminist and I can't believe we didn't have more important things to worry about than what HURRICANES are named!"

I thought it would make a good debate topic so I Googled this morning trying to find some supporting links. I still don't have a good one, but I did come across an opinion piece saying that the National Weather Bureau was racist because the hurricane names don't represent the African American community, there are no Latonyas or Antwons (I took those names from the article).

After reading that, I'm shaking my head even more than before. Are we really so petty to be caught up in frucking hurricane names? Or is this an issue that is bigger and more impactful than I am giving credit for??

AaronUK
05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I always found it rather appropriate :hmpf

Niobe
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Did the article really spell Antoine "Antwon"? Like, the ant won a prize? :gg

I think the 2008 list is pretty damn multicultural. I don't know what people are bitching about.

2008 Hurricane Names
Arthur
Bertha
Cristobal
Dolly
Edouard
Fay
Gustav
Hanna
Ike
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paloma
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

Omar stands out to me as a name that I most frequently see used by African Americans. Cristobal, Edouard, Gustav, Marco, and Paloma aren't exactly "typical American names" either.

MLA
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Umm . . . What's the big deal? I'm happy that they're named after both males and females now.

Lyrehc
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Historically they've been controversial. The NWS has been working in recent years to make the list more "inclusive."

Ms. B
05-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I have friends (married couple) named Dennis and Emily, and one year they both had hurricanes named after them, one right after the other! :lol

Linda
05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
I think they should change to name them after animals or something.

I think it's mind-boggling that people would get worked up over what a freaking hurrican is called.

And yes, the opinion piece spelled it Antwon. It's from 2003 (http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/000832.html):

Hurricane names raise a warning

The 2003 hurricane season is here, and that means a whole new list of names such as Larry, Sam and Wanda ready to make tropical-storm history.

Although Spanish and French names are included in this year’s lineup, among them Juan and Claudette, which struck Texas last week, popular African American names, like Keisha, Jamal and Deshawn, are nowhere to be found.

Some black lawmakers don’t seem to mind, but Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) does. “All racial groups should be represented,” said Lee.

Courtesy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric administration
Hurricane names have been too lily white for Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas). She says all ethnic groups should be represented.

The World Meteorological Organization began naming tropical storms after women in 1953. That made sense to scientists at the time who thought women and storms were both unpredictable. After feminist groups protested, men’s names were added in 1979.

The National Weather Service says hurricane names are derived from languages spoken in areas that border the Atlantic Ocean, where such storms occur. Yet that doesn’t explain why Gaston, Ernesto and Cindy were chosen and Antwon, Destiny and Latonya were passed over.

Lee said she hoped in the future the weather establishment “would try to be inclusive of African American names.”

ps: I stumbled across that site when googling and have no clue whether it's good/bad/valid/crap/etc.

ysolde
05-12-2008, 11:11 AM
In the Spanish Caribbean, hurricanes used to be named after the patron saint on whose feast day the storm hit. Thus, a hurricane known as San Felipe on one island would be known as San Juan on another (I am making this up, obviously -- I really don't know the names of hurricanes back in the day).

Sarochka
05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Good luck with "all racial groups" being represented. :rolleyes

I don't see traditional Filipino, Thai, Japanese, Bulgarian or Kenyan names on that list either.

EAsh
05-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I have always thought it was cool that there were hurricanes named after me, Erin. I guess that is no longer....oh well, I have better things to worry about.

maurinsky
05-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I have a friend named Katrina who really wishes they never named anything after her.

Lyrehc
05-12-2008, 11:17 AM

I don't see traditional Filipino, Thai, Japanese, Bulgarian or Kenyan names on that list either.

Keep in mind that hurricanes and cyclones are the same weather formation, but have different names because they are in different geographic areas. You'd need to look at the cyclone list as well to know whether a cultural group is not getting included in the ability to name storms.

Lyrehc
05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I have a friend named Katrina who really wishes they never named anything after her.

Yeah. Katrina was a name I'd thought about for a daughter, but after 2005 that's a no go.

Niobe
05-12-2008, 11:19 AM
My brother Andrew agrees. :lol

Keep in mind that hurricanes and cyclones are the same weather formation, but have different names because they are in different geographic areas. You'd need to look at the cyclone list as well to know whether a cultural group is not getting included in the ability to name storms.

And if you do, you'll discover Tropical Storm Sheila, ironically.

Alice Chalmers
05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Antwon is not so much an AA name as it is a stupid name.

Michelle
05-12-2008, 11:41 AM
After reading that, I'm shaking my head even more than before. Are we really so petty to be caught up in frucking hurricane names? Or is this an issue that is bigger and more impactful than I am giving credit for??

Well...it was 1979. It's probably Andy Kaufman's fault.

Niobe
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Antwon is not so much an AA name as it is a stupid name.

And Antoine is a French name.

Alice Chalmers
05-12-2008, 11:44 AM
And Antoine is a French name.
Antoine is a lovely name.

ysolde
05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Antoine is a lovely name.

Mmmm. Good food. New Orleans. Love the Hermes Room.

Wait, what were we talking about?

2cents
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
:tantrum I see no Hurrican Chaya or Gittel or Rivka or Ruchumah or Raizel or Matisyahu or Menachem or Yossi or Zalman either! How dare they!? They have forgotten true Jewish names! :beatnic

:snicker I'm only bullshittin' because I find it HI-larious that we are worried about DeShawn or Jamal... I mean, seriously, I'd bet if a N.A.S.T.A.Y. hurricane swept through with a name like LaQuisha there'd also be people standing around saying "it was named to racially slur the people who use that name"

What the hell does it take for some folk not to bitch... someone is gonna always bitch. Feminists, blacks, bizarre Jewish activists on messageboards? And really, why aren't they honoring the new picture of our nation? SHould there not be Hurricane Google, and Yahoo and YouTube? :paranoid

Antwon is not so much an AA name as it is a stupid name.:agree

Peanut
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Maybe if we mis-spelled some of the names in a more phonetic manner, it would apease the uproar?

Rrthrrrr
Burthuh
Kristobal
Dahli
Edourrrd
Faaaaaaaay
Goosetav
Hanna
Yke
Josuhfeen
Kyl
Lauruh
Marrrco
Nanuh
Omar
Paloma
Rehnay
Salleee
Teddee
Vikeeee
Wilfredd

Niobe
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
:tantrum I see no Hurrican Chaya or Gittel or Rivka or Ruchumah or Raizel or Matisyahu or Menachem or Yossi or Zalman either! How dare they!? They have forgotten true Jewish names! :beatnic

You got a Hanna. They've forgotten how to spell the true Jewish name, but they tried. :snicker

Linda
05-12-2008, 12:15 PM
...with a name like LaQuisha there'd also be people standing around saying "it was named to racially slur the people who use that name"

This certainly occurred to me too. It's a bit of a.. well, what my colleague would call a buggar's muddle. :lol

What the hell does it take for some folk not to bitch... someone is gonna always bitch. Feminists, blacks, bizarre Jewish activists on messageboards? And really, why aren't they honoring the new picture of our nation? SHould there not be Hurricane Google, and Yahoo and YouTube? :paranoid

:agree

I think you're on to something -- hurricane names should be sold to corporate sponsors who pay huge fees for the rights to them.

The sad thing is they've probably thought about that and rejected the idea. There is no way to keep corporate sponsors happy here. They would feel ripped off if the hurricane never hit land, and they would never want to be associated with huge devastation.

Honestly, though, I find fighting over the naming of them silly. I am disappointed in the 1979 feminists for not setting their sights on something more meaningful.

Alice Chalmers
05-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I mean, seriously, I'd bet if a N.A.S.T.A.Y. hurricane swept through with a name like LaQuisha there'd also be people standing around saying "it was named to racially slur the people who use that name"
That's a really good name. I also think it would lead to a lot of mean jokes about such names, because honestly I've never heard a positive thing said about "ghetto" names.

Niobe
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I think they should all be named for oppressive dictators. Like Hurricane Ivan was. So much more appropriate.

Michelle
05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Honestly, though, I find fighting over the naming of them silly. I am disappointed in the 1979 feminists for not setting their sights on something more meaningful.

Dude, seriously...Bobby Riggs, Andy Kaufman, pantsuits... it was all about absolute equality in every way then.

Wasn't it? :paranoid No?

2cents
05-12-2008, 12:27 PM
That's a really good name. I also think it would lead to a lot of mean jokes about such names, because honestly I've never heard a positive thing said about "ghetto" names.

What good can come of ghetto names? I mean seriously, I'm all about cultural names like Jahari and Jamal, if that's what someone wants... but names like LaQuisha usually conjure up bad associations when I have talked to people. Much the reason I don't like names like Chastity, because it comes up with an automatic crotch connection, names like Neveah Rean (I knew one "Heaven Near" backwards :twitch) and Deshawn conjure for many an idea of low education, etc. I want a clean name... a name with minimal baggage. I love the name Mariah, except there is now the Mariah Carrey connection. I think people just.dont.think enough sometimes. I mean, I actually know of a girl who was named Trojana (Tro-Jana) because her parents thought of it because she's a broken Trojan baby :omg

Michelle
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Whenever I hear LaQuisha or any of its variants I always think of LaQuinta hotels.

Michelle
05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh, and what about the ERA?

Hurricane names was our consolation prize that year.

"See there, Honey? Y'all's equal ins omethin' now, ain'tcha."

2cents
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM
I think they should all be named for oppressive dictators. Like Hurricane Ivan was. So much more appropriate.

But then we'd hope to run out LOL

What is there? Ummm..... Abdullah, Amadinejad, Bush, Castro, Janjaweed, Kim Jong Il, Hitler, Hussein.... see I am thinkin this would piss people off in other ways...:watchout

j.j.
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I was just laughing to myself, hurricane Sha'NayNay. Could you imagine all of the uptight newscasters talking about that?? :lol

Dandi
05-12-2008, 05:48 PM

That's a good point but I'd also point out that many Typhoons are given Asian names due to their global positioning.

Dandi
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Maybe if we mis-spelled some of the names in a more phonetic manner, it would apease the uproar?

Rrthrrrr
Burthuh
Kristobal
Dahli
Edourrrd
Faaaaaaaay
Goosetav
Hanna
Yke
Josuhfeen
Kyl
Lauruh
Marrrco
Nanuh
Omar
Paloma
Rehnay
Salleee
Teddee
Vikeeee
Wilfredd

Don't forget "JerriKhane." As in....JerriKhane Josuhfeen.

sassafrass
05-12-2008, 06:15 PM
What good can come of ghetto names? I mean seriously, I'm all about cultural names like Jahari and Jamal, if that's what someone wants... but names like LaQuisha usually conjure up bad associations when I have talked to people. Much the reason I don't like names like Chastity, because it comes up with an automatic crotch connection, names like Neveah Rean (I knew one "Heaven Near" backwards :twitch) and Deshawn conjure for many an idea of low education, etc. I want a clean name... a name with minimal baggage. I love the name Mariah, except there is now the Mariah Carrey connection. I think people just.dont.think enough sometimes. I mean, I actually know of a girl who was named Trojana (Tro-Jana) because her parents thought of it because she's a broken Trojan baby :omg

They got Shanaynay fever! They got Shanaynay fever!

dancing like Martin Lawrence in drag...
:dance

SquigglyErin
05-13-2008, 03:30 AM
I have always thought it was cool that there were hurricanes named after me, Erin. I guess that is no longer....oh well, I have better things to worry about.

Several years ago there was a Hurricane Erin... I remember, because my entire family made sure to point it out to me. :lol So i'm sure in another few years, our name will come around again. ;)

Marian Paroo
05-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Evidently, hurricanes used to be named after females but there were huge feminist protests and the policy was changed to name them after males and females.

In the car, I was thinking "I'm a feminist and I can't believe we didn't have more important things to worry about than what HURRICANES are named!"

Actually, I remember the all female names and the jokes about them which where at best patronizing and times really vile, and was glad when they started to alternate male and female names.

Linda
05-13-2008, 07:19 AM
So the people who were prone to make patronizing and vile comments -- they have since stopped just because alternating names are male? Why do I have a hard time believing that?

Seems to me there is plenty of that still out there. When I searched "hurricanes and feminism" and similar terms, I didn't get what I was looking for but I got a lot of other crap. Naming them differently didn't change that, I don't think.

WQ
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
I think Hurricane Lemonjello has a certain ring to it.

gilamomster
05-13-2008, 07:31 AM
All I know is I'm represented EVERYTIME...Gale Force winds baby...

:p

j.j.
05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
All I know is I'm represented EVERYTIME...Gale Force winds baby...

:p

LOL! Too funny!