PDA

View Full Version : Are these carrots bad?

moonhoney2
12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I have a bag of baby carrots, still sealed, never opened, in the fridge, with an expiration date of Oct 5. Are they still cookable? :paranoid They don't look bad. Still firm. I haven't opened them, so I don't know how they smell.

:paranoid

:pray

MissingMinnesota
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
open them and see...if they look/smell fine and are still firm I'd go for it!

angelino
12-01-2007, 02:20 PM
I usually use borderline ones for crockpot roasts and stuff.

RealCranky
12-01-2007, 02:25 PM
Are they slimy? If not, they are fine. Root vegetables, like carrots, keep extremely well. Bagged carrots will go bad because they've been cut and washed, but an unopened bag is probably fine.

There is no Carrot Plague that you get from outdated carrots (or I'd be dead, having frequently stored carrots for months and months.)

PB&J
12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Um, EW! Almost 2 months past their expiry date, I'd toss them regardless of how they smell. lol Maybe a week or two past, but not 2 months.

moonhoney2
12-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Not slimy, not smelly, and tastes ok. :woot

I'm making pot roast tonite and we have a snowstorm coming thru, so I don't really want to go out.

Bellatrix
12-01-2007, 02:36 PM

They're good. :agree

Carrots last a very long time in the right conditions.

koo
12-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Is American food irradiated? I remember reading that somewhere and I can't imagine how carrots could be still as good as new 8 weeks after their use-by date.:carol

Turn all the lights out and tell us if they glow in the dark.:lol

PB&J
12-01-2007, 03:11 PM
I buy organic carrots, so maybe that makes a difference. They get slimy after a week or so.

RealCranky
12-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Is American food irradiated? I remember reading that somewhere and I can't imagine how carrots could be still as good as new 8 weeks after their use-by date.:carol

Turn all the lights out and tell us if they glow in the dark.:lol

First of all, it is surely a "sell-by" date, and not an expiration date.

Carrots don't expire.

Traditionally, one dug up carrots in late fall, and stored them in a cool place ALL winter. Carrots, being roots, are meant to stay in the ground all winter and start growing again in the spring.

When a carrot goes bad, you can tell. It gets slimy and gross. (If your carrots go bad after a week, you aren't storing them right. I've grown many an organic carrot, and not had one go bad after a week.)

A carrot that has been stored for a long time may start to dry out and look shrivelled and unattractive, but it isn't "bad" in the sense that it would hurt you to eat it.

It's a vegetable, not raw hamburger!

Don't you wonder how people lived through the winter 100 years ago without refrigerators? :lol

koo
12-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Could you be anymore condescending? :carol

I've been growing my own veg for 16 years and grew up on a small-holding. I have a passing aquaintance with carrots.

I was asking if produce was irradiated in America.

RealCranky
12-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Could you be anymore condescending? :carol

I've been growing my own veg for 16 years and grew up on a small-holding. I have a passing aquaintance with carrots.

I was asking if produce was irradiated in America.

No, it's not.

But bags of "baby" carrots have been washed, peeled and cut into that "baby" shape, and they don't keep as well as "real" carrots.

And yeah, I could be a whole lot more condescending. I'll work on it for you, since I've still got a lot more vegetable growing years on you. ;)

Mare
12-01-2007, 03:46 PM
:duel

A smackdown over carrots! :paranoid

MissingMinnesota
12-01-2007, 03:47 PM

:agree:snicker

Marian Paroo
12-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Are they slimy? If not, they are fine. Root vegetables, like carrots, keep extremely well. Bagged carrots will go bad because they've been cut and washed, but an unopened bag is probably fine.

There is no Carrot Plague that you get from outdated carrots (or I'd be dead, having frequently stored carrots for months and months.)

I'm making pot roast tonite and we have a snowstorm coming thru, so I don't really want to go out.

They're good. :agree

Carrots last a very long time in the right conditions.

Carrots don't expire.

Traditionally, one dug up carrots in late fall, and stored them in a cool place ALL winter. Carrots, being roots, are meant to stay in the ground all winter and start growing again in the spring.

When a carrot goes bad, you can tell. It gets slimy and gross. (If your carrots go bad after a week, you aren't storing them right. I've grown many an organic carrot, and not had one go bad after a week.)

A carrot that has been stored for a long time may start to dry out and look shrivelled and unattractive, but it isn't "bad" in the sense that it would hurt you to eat it.

Don't you wonder how people lived through the winter 100 years ago without refrigerators? :lol

:iagree

koo
12-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Oh Nesha, I'm sorry you are old. :hugs

Cait
12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
If you can tie a clove hitch in them, then said carrots should not be consumed. Otherwise - risk the Trotskys, baby! Yeah!

Dandi
12-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Carrots don't expire.

I second RC. edited I didn't notice the condescension in the post :paranoid but that's probably cuz I was more concerned about condensation rotting the carrots. :snicker

WQ
12-01-2007, 04:16 PM

:rofl

WQ
12-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Can't. Breath.

angelino
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Carrots don't expire.

That's exactly right. For some reason whenever I'm wondering about if carrots, potatoes, etc. are old, I think about Anne Frank. :shrug They must have been eating old produce or something.

:ohmy

moonhoney2
12-01-2007, 04:37 PM

Guys, they're only carrots. :ohmy

angelino
12-01-2007, 04:44 PM

Guys, they're only carrots. :ohmy

Carrots are the new thistle! :snicker

kapooku
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
See? Do you see what is happening?? Everything was fine, and now this.

Squatty carrots never lead to anything good.

Never. :cry

Inky
12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
That's exactly right. For some reason whenever I'm wondering about if carrots, potatoes, etc. are old, I think about Anne Frank. :shrug They must have been eating old produce or something.
:ohmy

Thats exactly what I was thinking of too! I remember reading how they ate those shrivelled mouldy potatoes day after day.

carol
12-01-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't think I have ever looked at a date on produce - most of it doesn't even have dates, does it?

If it looks good I use it... :paranoid

PB&J
12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Foods rarely last long enough in our house for them to even get close to expiring. :snicker

BHL
12-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I'd eat 'em but I'm fucked up like that. :ohmy

Phoenician
12-01-2007, 08:57 PM
:ohmy for some reason I'm picturing MH cramping and sweating. The good news is that you may lose like, I don't know, 8 pounds overnight :ohmy

RealCranky
12-01-2007, 08:59 PM

Why, yes - I am! And it's great... I like it a lot better than being young. :yahoo Waaay more fun! Way less to worry about, too!

Now, have we talked about beets lately? Or kale? :fingerwag

Phoenician
12-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I hate beets but love the kale. Dang, I haven't bought kale in a while. Thanks for reminding me!

angelino
12-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Oh shit, don't open that can of worms. :gg

Phoenician
12-01-2007, 10:54 PM
What? Worms? Kale? What? :paranoid

carol
12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Worms 'n' Kale... it's what's for dinner, Pho... :agree

Kimm
12-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Why, yes - I am! And it's great... I like it a lot better than being young. :yahoo Waaay more fun! Way less to worry about, too!

:bored I cut the last biatch who mentioned beets to me. :bored

:snicker

Phoenician
12-01-2007, 11:11 PM
oh man I frickin hate beets dude

Kimm
12-01-2007, 11:11 PM
oh man I frickin hate beets dude

Me too. :gg

moonhoney2
12-02-2007, 03:18 AM
:ohmy for some reason I'm picturing MH cramping and sweating. The good news is that you may lose like, I don't know, 8 pounds overnight :ohmy

All's good in our house. :lol Which is a good thing because I cannot afford to lose weight. :nono

I don't think I've ever eaten a beet. :unsure

RealCranky
12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
I was sorting cans on the vegetable shelf this morning, and found a very slightly past date can of beets - and pickled them. It's my Day of Living Dangerously!

:lol

Stinkeye
12-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I hope there was no condescension/condensation involved, RC. :lol

koo
12-02-2007, 11:12 AM
I hope there was no condescension/condensation involved, RC. :lol

Yeah. That stuff can drip. :fingerwag

Dandi
12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't think I have ever looked at a date on produce - most of it doesn't even have dates, does it?

If it looks good I use it... :paranoid

On the packaged stuff...salads, coleslaw, etc...it does. But only because they've been cut and washed